4 Golf Exercises in 10 minutes to Strengthen the Core Muscles
The weakest part of most golfers’ bodies is the part they need most: the core. Without strong, pliable muscles in your stomach, hips, butt and lower back, you can’t make a golf swing that is both powerful and technically sound.
The “core” muscles are hugely important in terms of making an effective golf swing.
Their main responsibility is to stabilize your body so you can swing powerfully without losing your balance or control of the club. They also help prevent injuries, specifically protecting your spinal column.
Today, you’ll find 4 exercises that you can do from home 2-3 times per week to build your core muscles while strengthening your legs and hips as well. These drills will build stability and power in your golf swing.
Before reading this guide, here are 3 THINGS to DO TODAY!!
- Join our Golf Fitness Training Program Here
- Subscribe to our golf YouTube Channel here
- Get emailed our 6 favorite golf strength exercises PDF via this form
Golf Exercises from Home
Subscribe to the channel before you go! Click here to see our videos..
Golf Exercise #1: Glute Bridges
(TWO SETS, 10 REPS)
Why it works: A great exercises for the glutes, it also strengthens the hamstrings and lower back. The extended position is very similar to the position a golfer gets in when thrusting the hips toward the target through impact. Developing these muscles is critical for golfers because that’s where most of your swing power comes from.
- Lie on your back with your heels on a bench or step.
- Point your toes toward the ceiling.
- Squeeze your glutes and raise your back off of the ground until only your head and the tops of your shoulders are on the ground.
- Extend your arms with your palms down.
Golf Exercise #2: Lateral Squat
(TWO SETS, FIVE REPS, EACH DIRECTION)
Why it works: Stretches the hip adductors (inside of the thigh), glutes, groin, hamstrings and strengthens the quads. The legs play such a key role in providing power for the golf swing but they need to be more elastic and powerful. This exercise builds the lower part of the core.
How to do it: Stand with your feet spread slightly wider than the shoulders. Shift your hips to the right and down by bending your right knee and keeping your left leg straight. Your feet should be pointing straight ahead and flat on the ground. Push through the right hip, returning to the starting position. Then shift your hips to the left and repeat the exercise in the other direction. Be sure to keep your knee on the squat side behind your toes, your back flat and your chest up.
Other Golf Articles to Check Out ASAP on our blog:
- How to Stop Slicing the Golf Ball
- How to Stop Duck Hooking the Golf Ball
- How to Stop Shanking the Golf Ball
- How to Stop Topping the Golf Ball
Golf Exercise #3: Inverted Hamstring Stretch
(TWO SETS, SEVEN REPS, EACH LEG)
Why it works: Although technically not part of the core, the hamstrings allow you to fire your core muscles properly during the swing-if they are flexible. They also help you maintain your posture throughout the swing and effectively transfer weight. In many cases, tight hamstrings are linked to lower-back pain.
How to do it: Stand on your left leg only with your arms extended from your sides. Now bend over at the waist, and raise your right leg so it’s behind you and parallel to the ground. When you feel the hamstring stretch in your left leg, return to the starting position. Switch legs and repeat.
Golf Exercise #4: Stability Ball Dumbbell Twist
(3 SETS OF 20 REPS, EACH SIDE)
Benefits: By performing a twist on a physioball, you improve rotational strength and control—keys for preventing lower back injuries.
- Lie with your back on a stability ball and hold a dumbbell in both hands with your arms extended.
- Slowly twist to one side while balancing on the ball.
- Squeeze your abdominal muscles.
Golf Video Courses + Practice Plans
- Break 100 Complete Training Program
- Break 90 Complete Training Program
- Break 80 Complete Training Program
- The Complete Golf Swing Video Course
- The Complete Chipping Video Course
- The Complete Putting Video Course
- Annual Membership – Access All Video Courses
- Lifetime Membership – All Video Courses + Practice Plans
Golf Practice Plans Only
- Break 90 Practice Plan
- Break 80 Practice Plan
- Break 70 Practice Plan
- Short Game Practice Plan
- Indoor Golf Practice Plan
Don’t miss out on these amazing training programs. They’ll help lower your golf scores.
Or hop onto our email newsletter and get the free weekly golf tips we send out to our community plus updates and other announcements you don’t want to miss!