Best Driving Irons
As a golfer, you need a go-to club that can help you nail a shot down the fairway and make more pars. Certain situations like tight fairways surrounded by hazards or windy conditions put you in danger of making errors that could cost you a scoring opportunity.
Using the driver in such situations increases the risk. Thankfully, the driving iron comes to the rescue. The best driving irons give you the versatility you need on the course, together with options off the tee box.
Your driving iron should be your go-to club when you need a perfect shot down the middle of the fairway. Here’s what you need to consider when selecting a driving iron and a review of the best driving irons so you can hit more fairways and make more pars!
What Is A Driving Iron?
A driving iron can best be described as a combination of a long iron and a hybrid. The driving iron is a cavity-backed iron that gives you a lower trajectory than a fairway wood or hybrid but a higher trajectory than typical 3 or 2 irons.
Driving irons are more accurate and better wind performers compared to fairway woods or hybrids.
What Are the Characteristics of the Best Driving Irons?
You should find it easier to make contact using a driving iron compared to traditional wood or long iron. Your driving iron should have a big sweet spot that helps you get those off-center hits into a much better position.
You should opt for a driving iron that has a lower loft angle. A good driving iron should give you a low launch that goes far and rolls out a long distance on the fairway without being affected by wind conditions. A good loft angle creates the perfect stingers with penetrating trajectories.
You’ll want to select a driving iron that looks hittable and is not intimidating. The iron look and feel should inspire confidence over the ball and improve your drive. A well-designed driving iron will also look good in your golf bag and is a great conversation starter.
Review of the Best Driving Irons
1. Titleist U510 Driving Iron
The Titleist U510 is designed for a wide range of golfers and specifically targets amateur golfers. It’s very forgiving, thanks to a low center of gravity. In addition, its wide sole design should give you consistent shot performance and the best distance possible.
The U510 also launches and spins the ball a little higher. So it’s a suitable option when you’re hitting off the turf into long par 4’s or 5’s.
- Comes in four loft options; 16, 18, 20, and 22 degrees.
- Light stock graphite shaft for extra launch.
- Lower center of gravity for more forgiveness.
- A wide sole and a large shape offer more confidence, easy launch, and cutting through turf.
- Impressive ball speed and carry distance.
- Reduced workability
2. TaylorMade P790 UDI Driving Iron
The TaylorMade P790 UDI is designed for low handicapped golfers. It’s less forgiving than other driving irons. However, it’s an excellent option for advanced players with incredible swing speeds. The P790 has a sleek design and looks much thinner as you stand over it.
It has a low-density SpeedFoam cavity filler injected in a hollow body that gives you maximum ball speed on impact and optimizes feel and sound.
- SpeedFoam inserts for excellent speed and feel.
- Sleek design that inspires confidence.
- Internal metal-injection-molded (MIM) tungsten weighting for the precise center of gravity placement and playability.
- Gives you an excellent trajectory with very straight ball flights.
- A ThruSlot speed pocket to maximize distance.
- Suitable for better players with decent, consistent strikes.
3. TaylorMade GAPR MID Golf Club
The GAPR Mid is aesthetically pleasing and very versatile on the course, making it suitable for golfers of any level. You can use it confidently on the fairway or off the tee as it combines the playability and looks of an iron with the forgiveness of a hybrid.
The GAPR MID is designed to fix the gap between your shortest fairway wood and your longest accurate iron.
- Iron face design enables easy alignment and inspires confidence.
- Medium width sole for versatility and ease of play.
- SpeedFoam technology for enhanced ball speed and feel.
- Speed Pocket technology enhances forgiveness, distance, and playability.
- Easily adjustable loft sleeves give you extra options to tweak the lie, loft, and trajectory.
- A bit pricey compared to other driving irons.
4. Cobra Golf King Utility Iron
The Cobra Golf King is designed to give you a combination of precision and distance. It’s suitable for higher handicappers and beginners. It provides a massive sweet spot that produces high ball speeds and explosive distance across all points of the face.
It’s effortless to hit from the fairway and is a well-rounded driving iron with various strengths.
- PowerShell Face Technology gives you a thinner, more robust L-CUP face with a large sweet zone.
- Improved launch and distance from multiple lies with a low center of gravity.
- CNC milled groove and face for consistent spin across the face.
- High-density tungsten weighting is positioned strategically on the toe for increased precision.
- Gives you 8 easily adjustable loft positions.
- The trajectory, when teed up, is higher than suitable for a driving iron.
5. Cleveland Golf Launcher UHX Utility Club
The Cleveland UHX Utility offers excellent value for money and is suitable for mid to high handicappers. It features a hollow body design that boosts forgiveness even when you make off-center hits.
The Cleveland driving iron is easy to hit from the tee and fairway and provides enhanced control and backspin.
- V-shaped sole for smoother turf interaction.
- Hollow construction for enhanced forgiveness.
- Quality and value at a reasonable price.
- Milled steel face insert reduces the impact of mis-hits off the heel and toe.
- A thick face delivers high ball speeds and extra distance.
- It can be challenging to use on steep lies due to the V-sole
6. Srixon Golf- ZX Utility Iron
The Srixon ZX is a smaller, more blade-like, and compact driving iron that packs added power in a small profile. It’s suitable for low handicap golfers who seek more ball control in windy conditions, tight fairways, and long approach shots.
The added forgiveness and blade-like feel are guaranteed to increase flight control in any condition for more solid strikes.
- Milled pattern maximizes COR or rebounds for increased speed and distance.
- The hollowed design provides you with added forgiveness.
- Small compact design.
- Multi-piece construction tungsten at the base reduces the center of gravity for high launches.
- A carbon steel body absorbs vibrations for a very soft feel.
- The compact size may not inspire confidence in many players.
7. Callaway X-Forged Utility Iron
The Callaway is another excellent driving iron best suited for highly skilled players. It’s perfect if you like the look and feel of a long iron and need more forgiveness and distance. It also offers better performance than a hybrid.
The Callaway is a good blend of power and forgiveness and is a valuable weapon off the tee and the fairway.
- Hollow construction and compact forged clubhead for better control.
- Specially infused tungsten insert offers a small sweet spot for fantastic speed, low flight, and accuracy.
- A.I designed flash face cup reduces spin even when you mis-hit to increase distance.
- A wider sole and longer blade length promote control and forgiveness.
- Internal microspheres reduce vibration for a better feel and sound at impact.
- Best for players with fast swings.
8. Ram Golf FX Hybrid Driving Iron
The Ram FX Hybrid is a suitable option for golfers of all levels who find it hard to hit drivers on the course. It offers incredible forgiveness with the performance and appearance of an iron. You can also easily control the distance and height of your shots off the tee and on narrow fairways.
It’s a great low-budget option if you’re looking for an iron replacement.
- A high moment of inertia (MOI) reduces off-center strikes at impact.
- A reduced center of gravity on the club quickly the ball in the air for increased distance potential.
- Excellent quality with a stainless steel clubhead and stunning black finish.
- Reasonably priced compared to other driving irons.
- Great for low trajectory shots.
- Less technology compared to other brands.
9. LAZRUS Premium Driving Irons
The LAZRUS Premium driving irons are made for ordinary everyday golfers and offer the best quality without a crazy price tag. They’re the best pick for beginners but are suitable for any level golfer.
It’s a good choice if you’re looking for your first driving iron to get decent forgiveness and some distance improvement without much investment.
- Deep grooves to give you great control, spin, and consistency from the rough, fringe, or fairway.
- Very affordable with unbeatable value.
- Stepped steel shaft and wide sole offer decent forgiveness.
- Solid feel and premium look.
- The club can feel heavy due to the steel shaft
Golf Practice Plans (Follow these Programs)
- Break 90 Practice Plan
- Break 80 Practice Plan
- Break 70 Practice Plan
- Short Game Practice Plan
- Indoor Golf Practice Plan
- All Access Lifetime Membership – All Video Courses + Practice Plans
Golf Video Courses
Don’t miss out on these amazing training programs. They’ll help lower your golf scores.
Or hop onto our email newsletter and get the free weekly golf tips we send out to our community plus updates and other announcements you don’t want to miss!